Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Back from Break

After spending winter break in Big Sky Montana and a weekend in Windsor Canada, my mind, body, and wallet were ready for some old fashion rest in my home state. Seeing as I was running almost exclusively on Monster energy drinks the week preceding Spring Break, it was nice to get a chance to recharge my biological clock and catch up on some ZZZZs. When I finally woke up from the three day nap, I was welcomed by typical backwards Midwest spring weather; 60 degrees and sunshine was followed by a bizarre ice storm that did this to the birch tree in my front yard:When the ice melted, I packed my bags and headed south to the state capital to bunk up with my high school friend in Ohio State's SAE frat house. Finals were just around the corner for the Buckeye students, but I was nevertheless able to have some fun in Columbus. After rolling out of bed the next morning, the brothers and I woke up by taking a high power water balloon launcher to the fourth floor (I guess it was part of Greek week?). Sadly, the OSU visit was cut short by a freak snow storm; I had a ticket and a hot date to the Flyers final basketball game in Dayton Saturday and I wasn't about to get snowed in. So I braved the terrible conditions (15 cars spun off the road in a 60 mile stretch) on I-70 in my Civic and continued my journey west to the Birthplace of Aviation.

In a sold out game that only drew 50% attendance because of the weather, UD played host to St. Joe's in their final home game. The game was good, the stadium made the JACC (I hate to say it but its true) look like a high school gym, but the best part of the trip was getting to watch the St. Joe's Hawk. Now one of my favorite mascots, the Hawk enjoys a paid for education, but he is required to flap his wings the entire game. Timeouts, warmups, senior day celebrations, you name it, the Hawk was flapping its wings. However, the UD mascot Rudy Flyer refused to take a back seat as he later shamed the Hawk's one dimensional cheering in an epic dance off.
For those of you still reading, I thank you for taking such a creepy interest in my life away from Notre Dame sports. A post on the Big East tournament and the epic cliffhanging Tale of Two Freshman conclusion should be up sometime soon. Thanks for reading and Go Irish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, the blizzard of '08 is a good sign, as the prelude to the last Irish Final Four appearance was the blizzard of '78. Enjoying your blog, takes me back to real Hoosier hysteria (which is not exclusive to IU) and March Madness.