Thursday, September 17, 2009

IBG: They were who we thought they were

Sarah over at Bad Trade had the questions this week:

1. Still trying to get the taste of last weekend's game out of my mouth, so let's start with something fun. With Sparty on its way into South Bend, give me your favorite memory of the ND-MSU series. I don't care what it is: John L. Smith losing it, the image of MSU guarding against nothing, an actual game memory, whatever.

This was probably going to be the first year that I didn’t link to this wonderful Michigan State postgame show, but with a question like this, I can’t help myself. Here you go.
2. Since 1997, Michigan State has won 9 of 12 games against the Irish. I view this as a classic case of Sparty having ND's number. What worries you most about Michigan State this weekend?


MSU’s O-Line returns three quality starters on the left side of the line including Freshman All-American guard Joel Foreman, and while the Spartans must replace their best linemen from a year ago, RG Jared McGaha (RS Sophomore) and RT J’Michael Deane (RS Junior) are the same age or even older than our young defensive front. Freshman runningback Caulton Ray is no Jevon Ringer (as evidenced by putting up only 122 yds and 1 TD against Montana State and Central Michigan), but Spartans have a way of stepping it up against the Irish, and our run defense will be a point of concern until proven otherwise.

3. Between my lingering bad feelings from last weekend and the history of this series in the last decade plus, give me a good reason or two or three to feel optimistic about a change in fortune for the Irish, because right now, I could use some optimism.

1. I'm throwing out the history for this question because this Irish squad has a knack for record breaking (bowl streak, most points scored @ Mich, etc) - the home team will finally win.
2. Our offense is sick nasty - the defense is still suspect, but we will put up 30+ week in and week out.
3. MSU's QBs shouldn't give us the problems that UM's did last week. Both put up good numbers over the past two games (7TDs no INTs), but they lack the footspeed to break big plays against our defense, who should be reinvigorated playing at home.

4. As it is my week, I get to address my current ND obsession. Have the last two games changed your opinion/reinforced your opinion re: Charlie in the box versus Charlie on the field?
Weis is an offensive coach, and from what I've seen this year, there isn't much to complain about on offense, so I think the climb in production is correlated more with the maturity of his players, not from where he calls the plays. Similarly, the lack of production on the defensive side seems to be a reflection of the youth and lack of talent, not schemes. Weis can call plays wherever he wants in my opinion.

5. If nothing else, I can count on one thing to look forward to on Saturday - tailgating. Anyone have a good recipe for me to try? I make no limitations on what it can be - a drink recipe, dessert, appetizer. So long as it can be made on a grill, camp stove, or ahead of time, I am happy to listen. The better the suggestion, the more likely you are to get invited to my own tailgate.


Walking Tacos: Pour chili into a bag of Fritos. Add sour cream and cheddar cheese as needed. Eat with spoon – a Dayton tailgate staple, this will give you that taco taste without the mess.

And if that is a little too tame for your tailgate try some:

Grimace: UV Grape Vodka and Mountain Dew – they call it a grimace cause that’s what it’ll make you do. Be careful though, you don’t want to end up like this guy I saw at the Nevada game.6. Finally, any predictions for the game? I encourage your predictions to involve something other than a final score, but otherwise, I make no suggestions.

The offense is going to keep doing what its doing. Tate is due for a big game, and Shaq will start seeing some more quality PT as Floyd is afforded the opportunity to take a few less snaps. Our defense will feed off of the home crowd and make a few big stops to quiet the MSU offense. Notre Dame takes this one 35-17.

No comments: